9/26/08

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz





the kids and i made 8 quarts of grape juice today which we will later turn into jelly
and 1.5 quarts of tomato juice (it was all the tomatoes we had :). we rendered more lard (10 quarts). that was enough to fill up my large crock pot (5 quarts) and my big 8 quart roasting pan in the oven. canned 4.5 quarts of applesauce and made up 4 more quarts to cook down into butter. doesn't seem like much, but when you're working on an electric stove and two of the burners (the large ones) don't work...well...you get the picture.

thanks to the gift i so generously bought myself (i really had to talk myself into it - LOL) my grape juice and applesauce was a breeze. I think if you do applesauce, tomato sauce of any shape or form and/or grape juice/jelly and a number of other veggie keeping, you would be in heaven using this little gadget if you've never had one before. BEST $45 i ever spent.

i'm wore slick. my muscles ache and my feet hurt and i tried to cut my big toe off by dropping my butcher knife, but i had a terrific day and feel so accomplished (i've never made apple sauce/butter or tomato juice before).

blessings to all this night.

~hb

1 remarks: on "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

brockleesgirl said...

I am so inspired I think I may get up the courage to try canning for the first time this year. Any tips now that you're a pro?

disclaimer:  caution must be taken when reading my blog.  i'm a new creature and the Lord continues to mold and shape me through his will.  older entries may seem to contradict the newer ones.  there's a pretty good chance that they do for two reasons.  first, because of my nature, as i strive for perfection, i will continue to fall short of the mark and should therefore be thankful for his grace and should seek his (and your) forgiveness for having been so foolish in the past.   second, i continue to grow in him; and as changes are made, i have made attempts to change my blog to reflect those changes. in this event, please refer to #1.   if you're interested in perfection, my blog isn't the place to be.  pick up a king james bible (yup, i'm one of THOSE people) and read his PERFECT word.