9/23/08

homemade pizza sauce

I had some frozen tomatoes (whole) from last season and wanted to cook up some pizza sauce. Here's the website I used as a guide.

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/pizza_sauce

Here's the recipe I used.

4 cups peeled, cored, seeded and drained tomatoes
(about 1 gallon 1/2 ziplock bags stuffed full of tomatoes between golf ball and tennis ball size)

Throw in small sauce pan and start cooking on med/low. Add ingredients

1 tsp sugar
1/3 tsp black pepper
1/3 tsp salt
1/3 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp (pinch) of sweet basil

Stir occasionally to keep from scalding and keep the heat low (few bubbles) until thick. You can probably puree before you cook, but I did it when it appeared that all of the liquid was cooked out (about an hour) and it was pasty and perfect. Yield 1 pint (about 2 pizzas worth).

NOTES:

There wasn't much liquid to cook out as the frozen tomatoes tend to loose their juice easily when peeled and cored. I then threw them in a collander until I was ready to use them.

The main differences between her recipe and mine is the sugar and the thickening. She said to add 1.5 T to 6 cups of tomatoes, blech, sounded way toooo sweet to me. 1 tsp to 4 cups was perfect! I also didn't use any cornstarch - it really didn't need it.

0 remarks: on "homemade pizza sauce"

disclaimer:  caution must be taken when reading my blog.  i'm a new creature and the Lord continues to mold and shape me through his will.  older entries may seem to contradict the newer ones.  there's a pretty good chance that they do for two reasons.  first, because of my nature, as i strive for perfection, i will continue to fall short of the mark and should therefore be thankful for his grace and should seek his (and your) forgiveness for having been so foolish in the past.   second, i continue to grow in him; and as changes are made, i have made attempts to change my blog to reflect those changes. in this event, please refer to #1.   if you're interested in perfection, my blog isn't the place to be.  pick up a king james bible (yup, i'm one of THOSE people) and read his PERFECT word.