10/18/05

Xanga Archives 10/18/2005

BECAUSE I'M WORTH IT

I was helping my husband to fine tune the TV ariel on the house today. It was my job to channel flip while he climbed on the house and adjusted the pole.

I happened across a show, I think I've seen before which I never watch. Women live in a house for a brief period of time to solve some problem that they share with the group.

One very young women came forward in her group and said that she gave up stripping for her son. A very noble thing to do. She gave up a thing which she considered wrong for someone else that she loves. The interesting thing was that this was not a satisfactory answer for the group and not for the attending psychologist. These people wanted her to say that she gave up the stripping for who??? "herself".

I just mentioned something related to this on some else's blog this morning. It's very sad. It's every where you turn. TV is one of the worst culprits and other types of media - magazines, radio, etc.

"because I'm worth it...", "Just do it", "I deserve better", me, me, me, me, ME!

Don't think that because I mention this, I am not susceptible to it's charms. The god of self, pride, self admonition, vanity....The world is full of it and it is a tempting and almost logical way to live, but stop! What does the Bible say?

For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
~Romans 16:18


The dictionary calls this Hedonism:

The belief that pleasure is the greatest good and highest aspiration of mankind. Self indulgence. The doctrine that pleasure is the actual, and also the proper, motive of every action.


Why do marriages fail? Why are so many children screwed up? And children coming from Christian families, not just the heathens' children? Why do people murmur about their friends, enemies, and people they don't even know - even the people at their church! Why are people angry all the time? Depressed? Why do people jump from church to church or maybe not attend church at all - because something about the situation does not MAKE THEM HAPPY!

But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;
~1 Peter 3:14


This is such a hard lesson to learn and such an important one. If we don't get this one, we are dead in our tracks. We can't serve others if we are busy serving ourselves. There are only two commandments in the new testament for the age of grace.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
~Matthew 22:37-39

So do we only love the ones who give us pleasure? Those who love us back? Those who do as we think they should do for our benefit?
If only my husband would.....If only my kids would....If only my boss would....If only the pastor would.....Admit it folks, how many of you have ever said something like this? I am guilty as charged.

Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets. Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
~Matthew 6:26-35

0 remarks: on "Xanga Archives 10/18/2005"

disclaimer:  caution must be taken when reading my blog.  i'm a new creature and the Lord continues to mold and shape me through his will.  older entries may seem to contradict the newer ones.  there's a pretty good chance that they do for two reasons.  first, because of my nature, as i strive for perfection, i will continue to fall short of the mark and should therefore be thankful for his grace and should seek his (and your) forgiveness for having been so foolish in the past.   second, i continue to grow in him; and as changes are made, i have made attempts to change my blog to reflect those changes. in this event, please refer to #1.   if you're interested in perfection, my blog isn't the place to be.  pick up a king james bible (yup, i'm one of THOSE people) and read his PERFECT word.