1/24/05

humble pie

My devotion today is somewhat humbling, but here goes...

I recently offered advice to someone about their walk with God. I then later offered a second recommendation to read a book on the struggles of Job which I actually thought might be more appropriate to her situation.

Most would assume that a study of Job would remind us that we shouldn't complain about our struggles because God laid the foundations of all things and we are but a mere speck in the scheme of things. This is a very valuable lesson to learn, but not the only lesson one may find in the book of Job.

In remembering the sermons that this book was based on, I was not reminded of my current hardships and suffering. To be honest, by the glorious grace of the Almighty God, I have been very prosperous these last few months. Today, I instead felt that God was telling me that maybe I might be guilty of acting like Eliphaz, the "godly" and "spiritual" friend who advised Job of his indiscretions towards God resulting in his afflictions.

Job 22:5-10
5 Is not thy wickedness great? and thine iniquities infinite? 6 For thou hast taken a pledge from thy brother for nought, and stripped the naked of their clothing. 7 Thou hast not given water to the weary to drink, and thou hast withholden bread from the hungry. 8 But as for the mighty man, he had the earth; and the honourable man dwelt in it. 9 Thou hast sent widows away empty, and the arms of the fatherless have been broken. 10 Therefore snares are round about thee, and sudden fear troubleth thee;

Job 22:21-26
21 Acquaint now thyself with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come unto thee. 22 Receive, I pray thee, the law from his mouth, and lay up his words in thine heart. 23 If thou return to the Almighty, thou shalt be built up, thou shalt put away iniquity far from thy tabernacles. 24 Then shalt thou lay up gold as dust, and the gold of Ophir as the stones of the brooks. 25 Yea, the Almighty shall be thy defence, and thou shalt have plenty of silver. 26 For then shalt thou have thy delight in the Almighty, and shalt lift up thy face unto God.

What I've learned about these passages is that however spiritual and Biblical the advice may be, it is out of context or more simply does not apply to Job's current situation.

Job 1:1
There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

The very first verse in the book of Job tells us that God viewed Job as a righteous man which would lead me to believe that Job was in fact "right with God" contrary to what Eliphaz was advising.

I felt I was offering help to someone in need, but I more likely have been acting pious and prideful as was Eliphaz. I decided to offer spiritual advice where it may have been unwanted and maybe even inappropriate for the circumstances. I want to apologize to those of you who were on the receiving end of this advice. I hope you will forgive me and take any previous comments I've made as God would have you perceive them. I only hope that they'll help you in some way, in spite of my poor judgment in giving them.

I would also like to thank you for being a tool of the Lord in teaching me of such a valuable lesson.

***

On the lighter side, my daughter asked me yesterday the age old question "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

The answer:

Genesis 1:20
And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

0 remarks: on "humble pie"

disclaimer:  caution must be taken when reading my blog.  i'm a new creature and the Lord continues to mold and shape me through his will.  older entries may seem to contradict the newer ones.  there's a pretty good chance that they do for two reasons.  first, because of my nature, as i strive for perfection, i will continue to fall short of the mark and should therefore be thankful for his grace and should seek his (and your) forgiveness for having been so foolish in the past.   second, i continue to grow in him; and as changes are made, i have made attempts to change my blog to reflect those changes. in this event, please refer to #1.   if you're interested in perfection, my blog isn't the place to be.  pick up a king james bible (yup, i'm one of THOSE people) and read his PERFECT word.