3/8/06

rain rain some more

Collected some rain water today. We have very hard water and no $$ for a softener. After a bit of research, I'm not even convinced that a softener would be the way to go, but of course without $$ it's moot, so I had to find an alternative solution. The articles I read about hair washing suggested rain water filtered through a coffee filter for the vinegar rinse, so I'm going to try that tonite. I'm already very pleased with the results of the rinse using our very hard tap water, so I'm hoping this will just be the icing on the cake - and just think of the $$ we'll save on the water bill - yippee!

It's almost planting time, and I've decided to plant all of the herbs I've been using over the last year for teas, aroma therapy and now my hair rinse. If anyone has any pointers, they would be welcome as I've never cultivated anything myself. I'm going to included in my garden, chamomile, lavendar, peppermint, spearmint, garlic, green onions, tomatoes, chinese red peppers, jalepenos, rosemary, and lemon balm. I may add some others next year, but I don't want to get in over my head. I would like to grow catnip, but I'm afraid the neighborhood cats will destroy it and I don't have the funds for fencing or a greenhouse, so I may have to continue to buy it from the herb store. I'd like to grow ginseng, ginger root and tea, but I'm not sure that climate allows for those crops in Iowa. I may have to research it some more.

Well, I need to dry some laundry and filter some rain water.

Many blessings.

0 remarks: on "rain rain some more"

disclaimer:  caution must be taken when reading my blog.  i'm a new creature and the Lord continues to mold and shape me through his will.  older entries may seem to contradict the newer ones.  there's a pretty good chance that they do for two reasons.  first, because of my nature, as i strive for perfection, i will continue to fall short of the mark and should therefore be thankful for his grace and should seek his (and your) forgiveness for having been so foolish in the past.   second, i continue to grow in him; and as changes are made, i have made attempts to change my blog to reflect those changes. in this event, please refer to #1.   if you're interested in perfection, my blog isn't the place to be.  pick up a king james bible (yup, i'm one of THOSE people) and read his PERFECT word.